Post-Op For Laser Surgery
1. As your anesthesia wears off, you may have some discomfort. The medication labeled ________________ is for pain relief. Take this as prescribed. DO NOT substitute aspirin or other medicines. If this medicine makes you feel ill, call me. Take two (2) tablets every four (4) hours until bedtime; tomorrow as needed for pain.
Initial dose: ____________ Second (2nd) dose: ____________
2. Immediately following surgery, ice should be applied to your face in the area of surgery, using it for 20 minutes and leaving it off for 20 minutes. (Put ice pack in the freezer at this time.) This should be continued for the rest of the day, since it helps prevent swelling and therefore pain. Slight swelling noticed the first or second day is normal. However, if swelling begins after three (3) or four (4) days, call me.
3. There may be occasional blood stains in your saliva during the first day. This is expected and normal. Excessive bleeding is not normal nor expected. If there is excessive bleeding, call me. Don’t do any rinsing, spitting out, or drinking through a straw today.
4. Brush and floss,as well as you can. USE rubber tip 2X daily. Start this the day after your laser surgery.
5. For at least today and tomorrow, you should eat a soft diet. You may choose soups, jello, pudding, cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed potatoes, applesauce, pasta dishes, or may use food supplements such as Sustecal, which can be bought at your pharmacy. After the second day, return to a normal diet, being sure to eat a well-balanced one. DO NOT EAT ANY NUTS OR “SHELL” TYPE FOODS SUCH AS POPCORN.
6. A periodontal dressing material has been placed in your mouth in the area of the surgery. At a future appointment, we will take it off and possibly replace it. Before then, if a little piece of the dressing material comes off (less than half (1/2)) don’t worry. If the dressing material gets loose or more than half (1/2) comes off, call me.
7. Twenty-four (24) hours after the surgery you may begin rinsing with warm salt water. (Use half (1/2) teaspoon salt in eight (8) ounces (1 cup) warm water.) Forty-eight (48) hours after the surgery you may begin rinsing with your favorite mouthwash.
8. If for any reason you feel that you are having any complications associated with the surgical procedure that you had completed today, please do not hesitate to call me! Leo V Trail JR., D.D.S, M.S, P.A Phone Number 410-569-8567
9. No smoking for the first 24 hours after the surgery!!!